Thursday, July 28, 2011

A little of this, a little of that

Beach time :)))))))))))
Iconic symbols of Donostia
Miramar Palace overlooking the city
In front of the Ayuntamiento (town hall)
One of many fruit stands near the house

Since Monday´s visit to Ipparalde (the French Basque country), the last few days have been spent here in Donostia. On Tuesday, after a morning run in the pouring down rain, but hell bent to do it anyway, I showered and set out to get some research done while the rain was holding up. Plans to visit the Mitxchelena library were post-poned, we shall say, when while walking next to Café de la Concha, the rain returned. I ducked into the café for cover, and decided that I would have a couple of pintxos there and start to work, as I knew they had Wi Fi. This turned into a two and a half hour work period, after which I rewarded myself with a little break to go shopping before meeting my language exchange partner, and now friend, María, in the afternoon. We met in front of the McDonalds on Boulevard and went to Bideluze to have a coffee and catch up on our lives over the past year. It was really great to see her, and I felt so comfortable talking to her, whereas last year, I was always really tired, or had spent a whole day at school, or working on my translation project. From there, we decided to check out the Museo San Telmo, a recently rennovated museum in la Parte Vieja. It was our good luck that it was the free entrance day! We spent the first hour watching different videos that had to do with an amazing exhibit in which they interviewed hundreds of people from different places around the world, asking them the same question. We watched a video on what love means to each person, the hardest moment in their life, what family means, and what happinness means to them. Being someone that is intrigued by the way that people live their lives, and cross cultural awareness and understanding, I could easily have watched all of the videos and spent all afternoon in that section of the museum. However, we ventured into the other parts, which were equally interesting, and having to do with Donostia, and Basque culture in general since it´s beginnings. After my despedida from María, I had about an hour and a half until dinner, and a craving for patatas bravas (potatoes with a Tabascoish sauce) and ali-oli, so I went to the other Bideluze, and indulged..just a little bit. This brought back a great memory, of going to Bideluze with my friend Lisa to celebrate after finding out that Brandie and Jeff were expecting Colton!!!! Dinner with the family concluded the day!

Yesterday´s agenda started with a return to my university, Universidad del País Vasco, to meet with two of my amazing teachers, Natalia and Mari Mar. Unfortunately, Mari Mar couldn´t stay as she had another work obligation, but we got to catch up quickly for about fifteen minutes. She is a wonderful lady!!! Then, Natalia and I got to work together for about an hour and a half or two hours. And, although she was my teacher, it was nice to be able to hang out with her on a different level. I left the university after visiting the USAC office, with a feeling of joy. I remember leaving last year feeling so inspired by Natalia and Mari Mar to be a good teacher, and felt the same after walking out the door yesterday. Natalia and Mari Mar had worked together all last year to make their own text book, which I got to see hot off the press, and it was AMAZING!!!! I can´t wait to get a copy of it in my own hands for use in my classroom back home. They said that they thought of me a lot throughout the process because I am a teacher too, and because I was a student that had to suffer throught the DELE textbook that is the only other one available. Walking through the halls with Natalia, I could see her love for her students, and her job, which inspired me last year, and have inspired me again….couldn´t be better timing as I have exactly one week at home before returning back to work. J After lunch, I jogged in the SUNSHINE, and then went back down to the Parte Vieja to hang out and enjoy any ray of sunshine that mother nature gives us here. I of course, had to eat my favorite mushroom pintxo, as a pre dinner appetizer, and then aimlessly wandered the streets of the Parte Vieja, enjoying my own company, and observing others before entering the house to find Tortilla de Patata on the dinner menu again J

At dinner last night, Xavier told me that it was supposed to be nice weather today, so I knew that I needed to spend the day outside. After a thirty minute jog around Monte Urgull, I raced home to put on my suit and head to the beach. Instead of going to the already crowded la Concha, I went to la Ondaretta, near the Peine´s del Viento sculptures. A nap preceded reading of one of the books Natalia gave me, ¨Basque Anthropological Culture Perspectives.¨ It couldn´t have been a more perfect day on the beach, with the breeze flowing just gently enough to keep me cool, so I wasn´t forced to get into the water to cool off, as I heard everyone around me saying, ¨el agua está congelada¨ (the water is freezing). Hunger peeled me from the beach, and I knew exactly where I was headed: Warrenchena. However, I had to find it first, which is reminiscent of when I lived here; I could never find it in the maze of the Parte Vieja. However, I found it, and enjoyed my iberian ham, cheese, and red pepper sandwich on a baguette. I then took the afternoon stroll, had an ice cream, and visited my favorite jewelery store: Eguzkilore. My new thing is treating myself to a piece of jewelery when I travel, so when I wear it, I can recall all of the fond memories of the tripJ. So….I bought a ring with the eguzkilore flower in the middle, and I love it! I took one last stop at MiraMar Park, on the mansion overlooking the city´s grounds, to read and rest before heading home, and working……….

No comments:

Post a Comment