Sunday, May 2, 2010

Nearing the end....

Wow! How fast time has flown by! I am down to one week left of school, and then finals week. Since returning from Spring Break, I have settled into a nice routine, and really feel like I´ve adjusted to all of the changes….and now it´s time to move on to the next phase; traveling with my parents for several weeks before venturing out onto my own.

The past few weeks have consisted of sweeping sand out of my bedroom because I´ve been frequenting the beach before and after class! The weather is still off and on, but for about five days straight, it was nice enough to lay out and conquer some homework, or more like THINK about conquering it with my eyes closed soaking in the rays. Here, at the hint of sunshine, the locals are on the beach; all ages, to enjoy the Viatmin D, or play paddle ball, soccer, or volleyball, because in just a few hours, the weather can change dramatically. One thing that still is hard to adjust to are the public exposure regulations here…as in there aren´t really any….. which took some adjusting at first, but now it´s become somewhat normal when scanning the beach. I´ve even talked to my intercambios about it, and they say that it is just what they have grown up with, and so they are used to it.

Besides the beach, I went to my first soccer game, albeit a Second Divison game, between Real Sociedad (the San Sebastián team) and Valladolid. It was quite the experience: my friend Lisa and were seated in the section with every 10-15 year old Basque Boy, so we got to learn some nice chants from them, get sunflower seeds spit on us, and then watch a game that ended in a 0-0 score. Who knew soccer games could end in a tie? I guess it´s a pretty known fact, but that just means that I´ll have to find another one to go to. The fans here are excited because Real is on the verge of moving up into the First Division if they can get a few more wins.

Regarding school, I have been VERY busy trying to complete everything that will be due in the next two weeks. I absolutely love my two teachers, Mari Mar and Natalia, and they both have inspired me, and reminded me (although I didn´t need it) why I love teaching as well. They are 100% dedicated to the development of their students, and also doing anything extra they can to help us get to know their culture as well, as they are both very proud of their Basque Heritage.

I took advantage of a volunteer project for the ¨Week of the Book,¨ and visited a local elementary school in Zarautz, a town along the coast about 30 minutes by train from San Sebastián. One of the USAC office workers, Aizpea, has children that attend the school, and she arranged for us to go visit and read a book in English to students that are learning English. I was so thankful to have the opportunity, as the students (between the ages of 9 and 13 were all eyes and ears. I even had one of the teachers invite me to come back anytime I wanted to do it again. Bummer that I´ll be leaving soon, but it was great to be able to interact with students and see the eagerness that they portray at that age.

On the 22nd of April, USAC organized the viewing of the documentary FLOW: For the Love of Water. It so happened to coincide with Earth Day, which was fitting as it relates the problem of water scarcity. It is a powerful film, with which I am very familiar, having put in over 100 hours this semester, translating from English to Spanish, lesson plans that correlate with the film, directed toward Teachers Without Borders. Natalia and our USAC Director, Patricia, collaborated with the director, from the United States last semester to translate the movie itself into Spanish (subtitles). Once they accomplished that, she asked them if they would be interested in translating lesson plans for teachers, which is where me and two other students came into the picture. We dedicated our spare time to the cause (and for me, graduate credit). Since finishing (or almost, we now have to change all of the ¨Vosotros¨ forms to ¨Ustedes¨ in ALL the documents), Natalia has been working to translate the movie itself into Basque and French. She is truly an intelligent woman. The project was-is tiresome, but it has instilled some excitement in me that I am excited to relay to my own students upon returning home regarding sustainability, and water. Lisa, Mikeli (the other two students I worked with), Natalia, and I were all recognized after the viewing of the movie, and we received a copy of the movie for ourselves, and a certificate stating what we have accomplished.

Since my time here in Donostia is coming to an end soon, I have started to reflect upon things that I am going to miss, and/or do miss from home.

WILL MISS:

The food: tortilla de patata, patatas bravas con ali-oli sauce, champi con foie, bocadillos, sidra…it is all incredible

The experiences: Pintxo hopping, enjoying coffee, reading the Diario Vasco newspaper everyday, walking everywhere I go, stopping off at the beach after class, window shopping without the urge to buy anything, meeting with my inter-cambios (especially María!), frequent visits to the grocery store a block from my apartment, seeing the town lit up at night, the busy/alive streets of the Parte Vieja at night, the Wednesday walk with my girl Helene to her English and Dance class and then visiting with her parents afterwards, saying ¨AGUUUURRR¨ (Goodbye in Basque) and ¨Eskerrik asko¨ (Thank you in Basque) when leaving any place, being in awe of all the well behaved dogs

WON´T MISS:

Living in a loud/messy apartment, the random rain catching you without an umbrella, people smoking inside restaurants, seeing every Basque man and woman look like everyone else and stares because I don´t look like them or have a Basque profile J (thank goodness), dogs inside restaurants

MISS FROM HOME:

Friends, family, MEXICAN FOOD, Starbucks, having a car when I need it

I´m sure there is more to come……..

No comments:

Post a Comment